WhatthebleepdoIknow?

Sunday, February 10, 2008

Emotional Thermostat

Just Musing about in my mind the other day and I got to thinking about who controls my moods. Is it me? It seems for a good part of my life it wasn't. I might be in a perfectly fine mood, having a good day and then someone who is having a melt down shows up and my day is ruined. ??? Surely no one else does this. Right?

Or how deeply am I affected by the general outlook, such as "there's a recession coming and its going to be BAD" or "Things are terrible and the only hope you have is to elect our party to office, we will save you from the horrible mess we are in now" or the news paper, which I firmly believe should be called the "bad news paper" because that's all they are interested in printing, "if it bleeds it leads". Interviewing people who have just lost a son or daughter to some horrific fate and asking "how do you feel?" Are you kidding me? Or the comprehensive coverage of Paris Hilton and Britney Spears. . . give me a break, this is news? I don't really think so, but my question is how much does it affect my mood? Does it frighten me, make me feel confused, hopeless, or just disinterested?

Or the people in my living space. How does their mood affect my own? There is an old idea that women who live in close quarters cycles sync up, if this is true we must be affecting each other all the time. I live and love a man who has a lot of anger issues. How does that affect me?

I was mulling over all these things when I was turning down the thermostat for the night and after I went to bed I realized that my moods must have a thermostat too, but who has been setting the controls? When I react to someone else's mood by changing my own they are setting my mood, but when I simply see their mood for what it is and who's it is, my mood stays the same (I'm setting my emotional thermostat). I know this is probably very elementary and I maybe should have gotten it 50 years ago, but the point is I DIDN'T. I'm getting it now and I'm just so grateful. So every day now I set the intention of remembering. . . I control my emotional thermostat. When I am down it is because I have chosen to be down for a reason (like maybe to deal with old tramas,etc.) and that is perfectly fine. And when I am up it is because I have chosen to be up, no matter what kind of energy field might surround me. Guess it all comes down to personal responsibility, doesn't it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home